Contact Care: What You Need to Know
Many patients opt for contact lenses rather than glasses for aesthetic reasons, but caring for your contacts requires a bit of time and effort. When you follow proper instructions for wearing and caring for your contacts, they are one of the safest forms of vision correction you can use. Failing to use them as directed can actually damage your eyes, so it’s very important to know how to care for your contacts.
There are a variety of contact care products on the market so it can be a bit confusing keeping track of how exactly to care for them. The following recommendations from the American Optometric Association can help you care for and wear your contact lenses properly.
- Be sure to always wash and dry your hands before you handle your contact lenses.
- Carefully clean your contact lenses on a regular basis as directed by your eye doctor. Use your fingers to rub the lenses and rinse them thoroughly. Use multipurpose solution to soak them overnight.
- Use the proper lens storage case, which should be replaced every three months if not sooner. Clean the case after you use it and keep it open to allow it to dry.
- Only use products that are recommended by your eye doctor. Make sure you are using products properly. For example, don’t use rewetting drops to disinfect your contact lenses.
- Never reuse old contact lens solution. Even if you don’t your lenses daily, you should be using fresh solution according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Make sure you follow your eye doctor’s recommended contact lens replacement schedule.
- Remove your contact lenses before you go swimming or enter a hot tub.
- Visit your eye doctor regularly for contact lens and eye examinations.
For more information about how to care for your contact lenses contact Spindel Eye Associates at 603-421-6536.
- Eye Exams
- Spindel Eye Reviews
- Dry Eyes
- Refractive Errors
- Macular Degeneration
- Ocular Diseases
- Pulsed Light Therapy
- eye care
- eye health
- Eye irritation
- Eye Syndrome
- Eye Doctors
- LASIK Surgery
- dry eye syndrome Manchester
- Vision Care
- Contact Lenses
- Crizal Prevencia